Cornerstones of Altamaha Area & Southeast Georgia Non-Fiction:
County Histories, Confederate Regimental Histories and Genealogy
The Tattnall County, Georgia Superior Court Records of 1805-1832
408 Pages Hardback published with a grant from the R. J. Taylor Foundation.
$50(plus tax $3.50- Ga. Residents only) and shipping ($6.00) Total $59.50 for Georgia residents- $56.00 for out of state residents. Limited Printing- Order Your copy before they are gone. Mail order: 625 Dorothy St. Metter, Ga. 30439
- Kinfolks Across the River (A history of the Thompson families who settled along the Ogeechee, Canoochee, Ohoopee and Altamaha Rivers of South Georgia) by Tony Thompson 2002 $40 ( see website and order info)
- Descendants of Elias Robert Hodges(1820-1901) and his wife Eleanor Elizabeth Smith-- by La Fayne Hodges May, Wyman E. May and Cecil Calder Garrison $20 Contact the authors.
- Once Upon a Time in Tattnall County--Charles Wildes $25-$30 Write to Mr. Wildes' estate at Rt. 3 Box 230 Claxton, Ga. 30417
Bonus Book Deal- Order Kinfolks Across the River AND Tattnall Inferior Court Records for one low price of $55 for both books Send check to Tony Thompson, 625 Dorothy Metter, Ga. 30439 and mention this offer.
Or buy it NOW with Pay Pal!
- A Roster of Confederate Soldiers of Bulloch County (1861-1865) by Smith Callaway Banks--available for sale at Statesboro Regional Library $20
- A Durrance/Durrence Family History From England to North Carolina to Wiregrass Georgia by Evans County Historian Dot Simmons, 2000. A well researched and wonderfully written book. Loaded with maps, pictures and documents. A sure classic that will not be around for long. Lots of allied family and Tattnall County related information. Handsomely bound in hardback, 149 pages plus index. Buy it now with Paypal $40
- The Descendants of Berrian Waters by Maggie Elease Thompson Waters, and Jason Robert Trotter ,2001 Contact Elease Waters 912-654-2312
- This is Our Life- Jonathan Anderson- and Anderson Family of Tattnall County A. Jesse Anderson revised 2001 $25 for this limited edition classic. 260 pgs.
Softcover. Originally written in 1960. Buy it Now with Pay Pal $25
- A History of Jones Creek Baptist Church- Long County Georgia- 1810-2000 Elmer Parker $40 write Jones Creek Baptist Church Rte. 2, Box 36, Ludowici, Ga. 31316 Parker served as the head of the National Archives in D.C.
- A Soldier's Story of his Regiment- 61st Georgia- Army of Northern Virginia first printing in 1898- by Pvt. G. W. Nichols -reprinted in 2000.
One of the top Southern war books of all time! A great gift for the history buff.
Buy it NOW for $42.50 using Pay Pal
The "other" online retailers of this book sell it for $75 and $90.
4 copies available as of 20 FEB 08
* The Gallant Little 7th: A history of the 7th Georgia Cavalry Regiment
250 pgs. hardback By John W. Latty, 2004 $30.00
What a great book for a great price! The "7th Regiment, Georgia Cavalry" was formed at Savannah, Georgia by the consolidation of the 24th Battalion Ga. Cavalry, four companies of the 21st Battalion, Ga. Cavalry and the two companies of the Hardwick Mounted Rifles on Feb. 13, 1864. Many soldiers from Bryan County, Bulloch County and neighboring areas served in this Cavalry.
OUT OF STOCK!
- Sweet Land of Liberty - A History of Liberty County- Robert Long Groover 1987- Liberty county board of commissioners- Liberty County Courthouse $40
- Philadelphia to Glennville- A backward glance-
D. Mark Baxter, Carroll Cowart, Joseph Grice, Alec. F. Thompson $20 1994- contact Glennville-Tattnall Museum POB 617, Glennville, Ga. 30427
- Upper Black Creek Primitive Baptist Church 1802-2000
contact Yvonne Burnsed- Statesboro, Ga.
- Queensboro or The Irish Town and It's Citizens by Loris D. Cofer 1977
Contact Jefferson County Library- Louisville, Ga./ or Marianne Miller- Louisville, Ga.
- From Beautiful Zion to Red Bird Creek- A History of Bryan County- Buddy Sullivan 2000 contact Bryan County Commissioners $55
- History of Evans County- Dorothy Durrence Simmons and Evans Co. Historical Society Contact Evans County Library, Claxon, Ga.
- Bridger Jones Family History (Bulloch and Candler county) by Ted E. Lewis / Hardback $45.00 / Many pictures! 317 pgs. including index of both married & maiden names. Printed by Gateway Press. Buy it now with Paypal.
- South Georgia Rebels by Alton J. Murray Hardback/ 323 pages/ maps Formidable research. OUT OF STOCK $52.50
- Adventures in Green and Gray "True Stories of a Game Warden" by Tattnall Invincibles member Jim Hethcox Order from Wiregrass Publishing
Cemeteries of Candler County, Georgia Candler Co. Historical Society
Hard cover, 400 pages, indexed, includes directions to cemeteries,
tombstone names, dates & inscriptions, some photographs, $ 34.50
The History Of Metter And Candler County, Georgia
Hard cover; 560 pages; Subjects include: Communities & towns, churches, schools, clubs, business, professions, cemeteries, military records, family histories, old and new photographs. $54.60
Order from:The Candler County Historical Society, P.O. Box 325 Metter, GA 30439
Make checks payable to Candler Historical Society.
Video or DVD of the Memorial Service for Pvt. John Thompson, 4th Georgia Cavalry Company E . Professionally edited and digitally enhanced footage of reunion and memorial service in Odum, Ga. 2002. Includes introduction, history, candid shots, reenactors in period dress and uniforms, credits, music, speeches and cannon firings.
Features acappella music performed by the Would Sisters and "Taps" on bugle performed by William Bowers. Reenactors are from the 9th Ga. Dekalb Light Artillery, General T.H. Anderson SCV Camp #1919 of Hinesville-Ludowici, Tattnall Invincibles SCV Camp #154, Appling Grays SCV Camp #918 and representatives of the United Daughters of Confederacy Jesup Chapter #551. A Thompson Family heirloom!!
Approximately 65 minutes. If you are planning a memorial service or want to know how one is done, this is one of the best.
Available in video VHS format for $10.00
2 Copies in stock.
Also in DVD. 5 copies available.
DVD Format for $15.00
The Thomas Family Book Series (Rare, Out of Print) 3 Volume Set written by Aaron
Thomas [deceased] Includes the descendants and history of Gilshot Thomas (born before 1760) in three volumes: The Thomas Story, The Thomas Story Continued and Thomas Kith and Kin (1977, 1979 and 1985) Traces the family from Maryland to Georgia (Tattnall County, Appling, Wayne, Pierce, Brantley) to Florida, Alabama, etc. Because of the nature of these book they are sold only as a set. These three hard to find books are in pristine, mint condition.
OUT OF STOCK!!
In the Saddle: Exploits of the 5th Georgia Cavalry During the Civil War by Timothy Daiss (If your Chatham, Bulloch, Effingham, Tattnall, Liberty or McIntosh County ancestors served in this fine mounted unit, you'll treasure this book!) 119 pages, hardback with dustcover, many photos and drawings. A fine regimental history of one of Georgia's premier coastal cavalry regiments. $30.00 OUT OF STOCK
Lamb in His Bosom by Caroline Miller, with an afterword by Elizabeth Fox- Genovese. This 1934 Pulitzer Prize Winner for Literature was written by a Baxley native. This is her story about the people of the South Georgia piney woods before the War Between the States. This book was largely responsible for the discovery of the more famous book, Gone With the Wind. Though not as famous, THIS is a south Georgia story, of the people who did not have mansions or slave plantations but who were close to the land on the Georgia frontier. Handsomely bound, newly reprinted, and with an attractive dust cover. This fantastic and historic book should be in the homes of all descendants of South Georgia pioneers. 357 pgs. Hardback $30 OUT OF STOCK
It's Not What You Know: The Battle to Control How You Feel About History by Gordon A. Thompson 2004. There is a struggle going on to control how our state and national history is presented. It has become an all-out war. This book exposes the works of revisionist historians like James Loewen and Howard Zinn. If you have school-age children or grandchildren you owe it to them to read this book. 60 pages perfect bound. (Website with more info) Buy it now with Pay Pal for just $5.00
A History of Reconstruction in Georgia 1865-1872 This reprint of a 1916 Bulloch County UDC booklet begins with the quote: “He who is ignorant of what happened before he was born remains a child all his life.” 60 pages, cardstock & vinyl cover, spiral bound. Excellent history of Georgia’s ordeal during Reconstruction, especially for students. Buy it now with Pay Pal just $7.00
TEMPORARILY---OUT OF STOCK
Houses of Heartpine by Pharris Johnson. 2001- Groundbreaking analysis of the antebellum architecture of modern day Evans County (early Tattnall Co.) Examines structures which are typical of the entire Altamaha river basin area. 117 pgs. Perfectbound, 8 x11 inches. $32.50
2 copies in stock.
Bellville, Georgia- The 1st 100 years by Pharris Johnson. 1997- A comprehensive history of the early Tattnall-Evans County town. Includes photos and profiles. Many early settlers included. 305 pages, 8x11 Hardback. $47.50 2 copies in stock
Under the Southern Cross- Soldier Life with Gordon Bradwell and the Army of Northern Virginia (31st Georgia Infantry) by Pharris Johnson 1999- Excellent first person account based on letters of Gordon Bradwell. Unique and insightful primary source reflections. Published by Mercer Press. 6x9 inches Hardback with dustjacket, 273 pages. Excellent book. Limited supply. 1st Edition $33.50 Buy now with Paypal
ONE COPY IN STOCK
Evans County and the Creation of Fort Stewart, Georgia by Pharris Johnson. 1994- Very complete review of the history surrounding the creation of the huge military base. Thorough overview of the Fort's early history. Essential to understanding the displacement of local residents. Spiral bound, 103 pages, 8x11. Buy now with Paypal $22.50
1 copy available
The Douglas Genealogy, by Mary Lois Forrester, 1992- Hardback with 150 pages plus 20 page index. Mrs. Forrester is an accomplished author and her expertise shows in this book. Traces family lineage from North Carolina thru Washington Co. Ga., then Tattnall County, Ga. and on into Florida, starting with Alexander Douglas b. 1757. This is a fantastic book with many photos and historical sketches. Many Tattnall area families have connections with the Douglas line.
NOW back in stock! $27.50
1930 POPULATION CENSUS OF CANDLER COUNTY Spiral Bound by Jay Clifton
4 copies in stock.
A History of Tattnall County 1801-1865 by John P. Rabun Jr. First written in 1954 Revised in 2005. 50 pages spiral bound, grey cover. $20
Stories from the Tattnall Journal 1905-1950 by John P. Rabun Jr. 2008 268 pages, 8.5 x 11, paperback, perfectbound, with photos on cover. Delicious history of turn of the century south Georgia county. Plethora of names and tidbits related to Tattnall genealogy and history. Limited availability $30
Get both Rabun books for $45, a savings of $5 and save on combined shipping.
While supplies last.
Order by phone 912-685-3347 or 912-682-5501 or use the printable order form at top right of this page to order by mail. Personal checks accepted
Just Published! November 2012
Tales of Old Tattnall and Evans is a full size 8 x 11 hard cover book with 275 pages published by PrinTech of Glennville. Books can be purchased at the Evans County Chamber of Commerce in Claxton, in Reidsville at the County Commissioners Office on first floor in the Restored Tattnall Court House and at the Glennville Sentinel. Statesboro Regional Library is sponsoring a book signing for Crosby on Tuesday, November 20th from 5-7 p.m. at the Evans County Library and another in Statesboro on Thursday, November 29th from 5-7 p.m. at the Statesboro Regional Library. She will appear on WTOC Mid-Morning Live at10 a.m. on November 20th and have a booth at Reidsville Christmas Festival on November 24th and at Christmas Cobbtown Style on December 1st. On November 30th Mrs. Crosby will be at First Citizens Bank in Glennville from 10-2. More information is available at www.tattnallroots.com.
Full Size Hardback Leather-like 8 1/2 x 11" Book $64.20 (includes $4.20 Ga Tax) Add $5.15 for Padded Envelope or $12.50 box. Send Check or m.o.,Nancy Crosby,1308 Sea Way NE, Townsend 31331
Click here to suggest your favorite book from this area.
To order by postal mail, you may use the link at the top of this page to print out an order form OR
simply print this page, circle your selections and mail a check for the total to: Georgia residents add 7% to total.)
Pay Pal can be used for larger orders or multiple book orders . Contact me for a total and you can email the amount to me via Paypal. Substantial discounts available on orders over $100 and reduced shipping as well.
625 Dorothy St.
Metter, Ga. 30439
or call 912-685-3347